Week In KU History
May 9, 1914: The Sour Owl, a KU student publication featuring salacious gossip and bawdy sexual humor, issues the premiere edition of its intermittent 40-year run. Read the full story
May 9, 1969: Student anti-war protestors disrupt and ultimately force the cancellation of the Chancellor's Review of KU's ROTC department. Read the full story.
May 10, 1921: After 30 seasons of service, 4,000 KU students and faculty members tear down the fence and bleachers of McCook Field in an hour and 18 minutes, clearing the way for the construction of present-day Memorial Stadium. Read the full story.
May 10, 1942: The US Army's 77th Evacuation Hospital Unit, composed of volunteer doctors and nurses primarily from the KU School of Medicine and its Bell Memorial Hospital, is officially activated for duty in World War II. Read the full story.
May 20, 1952: Approximately 1,500 undergraduate KU men engage in the largest panty raid in the University's history. Read the full story.
May 21, 1886: Professor E.H.S. Bailey first proposes the cheer that evolves into the "Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU" yell. Read the full story.
May 21, 1952: KU Chancellor Franklin D. Murphy announces the appointment of Frank R. Burge as director of the Kansas Memorial Union, a position he would hold for more than 30 years. Read the full story.
May 25, 1986: KU dedicates its Vietnam Memorial in Marvin Grove, becoming the first university in the country to build such a monument. Read the full story.
May 26, 1953: The KU Endowment Association acquires Pioneer Cemetery, Lawrence's first burial ground, after Chancellor Franklin Murphy and his daughters stumble upon the neglected site. Read the full story.
May 27, 1951: The Memorial Carillon and Campanile, a monument to the 276 KU men and women who died in World War II, is formally dedicated atop Mount Oread. Read the full story.
Compiled by Henry Fortunato
University of Kansas
This Week In KU History is a project of the KU Memorial Unions.
University of Kansas Memorial Corporation